When Jacksonville Residents Should Consult Professionals for Back Pain

by | Jul 22, 2021 | Pain Management Physician


Latest Articles



A minor injury, overuse, or a sprain can cause an individual to experience pain in their middle or upper back. With a minor injury, at-home treatment usually helps an individual get back on their feet within a short period of time. At-home treatment involves resting, taking over-the-counter pain medication, and using cold and hot therapy.

There are other situations where it is necessary for a person to consult with a medical professional at a coastal spine and pain center. Their back pain may be the result of a fracture, osteoarthritis, myofascial pain, or pressure on the spinal nerves. If their injury was severe, they would benefit from consulting with a professional.

Serious symptoms that would indicate that a person should visit a coastal spine and pain center include weakness in the legs or arms. They also include numbness or tingling in the belly, chest, arms or legs. If a person has lost control of their bowel or bladder, they need to get medical help.

The first goal that a medical professional will have is to help the patient get relief from their immediate symptoms. They will diagnose the problem and then come up with a treatment plan. Surgery is seldom an option that is used for pain that is experienced in the upper or middle back. It is more likely that the medical professional will encourage better posture, exercise, massage, and spinal manipulation. Long-term use of prescription medication is usually only recommended if a person has used the above-mentioned treatments and still has a difficult time doing daily activities.

Related Articles